A design defect in some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus devices is causing components on the logic board that are responsible for registering touch-related functions to separate and malfunction. Through repeated and expected stress patterns (like dropping your phone), the connection between these two pieces break over time. This issue may only manifest itself after a restart of the device is performed. If a Puls technician determines your device has “loop disease” you can still choose to have a screen repair performed but under a modified guarantee agreement.
How do I know if I’m affected?
Your device will display certain symptoms that indicate it may have loop disease. Symptoms may include:
- Microphone/Speaker Issues
- People can’t hear you when you make a phone call. Issues hearing through the earpiece speaker.
- Lagging Touch
- The screen works but seems like it takes a while to catch up. Feels like it needs to be “calibrated”.
- Freezing Touch
- The screen periodically will “freeze up” and not respond to touch. This is resolved by restarting the phone.
- Voice Memos App Recording Issues
- The record button is grayed out and you cannot record voice memos.
- Long Boot Time
- The phone takes longer than about 3 minutes to show you the home screen after restarting.
NOTE: This does not guarantee that your device has these issues and further diagnosis by a repair professional may be necessary.
What can I do?
Unfortunately this is a design defect that requires “microsoldering” of the logic board to fully fix, and Puls does not offer this service at this time.
If a Puls technician determines your device has “loop disease” you can still choose to have a screen repair performed but under a modified guarantee agreement.
What is a modified guarantee?
Puls offers a lifetime guarantee on most repairs and services, but the design flaws in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models require that we modify our guarantee to account for inherent mechanical failings.
- Any faults relating to the parts used for the original repair (e.g. if a Puls technician installs a replacement part that turns out to have been faulty, the faulty part will be replaced as soon as possible, at no cost to the customer)
- Any issues relating to service provided by the Puls technician (e.g, if a Puls technician drops the phone while fixing it and inadvertently causes additional damage)
What’s not included:
- Faults not relating to the original repair done (e.g. if a Puls Technician replaced the charging port the guarantee would not cover a faulty power button, or if a Puls Technician replaced a screen the guarantee will not cover the speakers)
- Symptoms of loop disease, including but not limited to: lagging touch, freezing touch, voice memos app recording issues, and long boot time (as described earlier).
- Anything not included in our standard Lifetime Guarantee